Monday, June 3, 2013

Bad Grammar for Jesus

It is not only possible to believe in Jesus with bad grammar, but possibly preferred.


                In conversation, it is fairly difficult to not talk about “I.” “I think your right.” “After you get home, I’m going to the store.” “I don’t know if you heard this but…” Could it be that “I” consumes way too much of my…ahh I mean…ehh…um…our focus? To leave out the I’s and me’s in grammatically incorrect, but in doing so a better alternative than good grammar can be achieved. Have a mirror that has Jesus on the cross etched into it. Two things come to mind when thinking about that mirror. 1. Who do you see in it, Jesus or yourself? 2. A reminder that it is my fault, guilt, mistakes, and self-absorbency that is the reason for the crucifixion. Yes, “my” was used in that last sentence because it is the I that Christ died for so that the I would give up and let the You take over. Paul said, “I have been crucified with Christ and it is no longer I who lives, but Christ who lives in me.” Jesus said, “Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.” People seek to find “God’s will for my life,” and have difficulty figuring it out. The problem is the little two letter word at the end of that statement; “my.” It changes the focus from God’s will to “me.”
                Personally, been making an effort to remove the personal pronouns from vocabulary. Makes for bad grammar, but good Christology. Take for example the song “I Give You My Heart.”


This is my desire
To honour You
Lord, with all my heart
I worship You
All I have within me 
I give You praise
All that I adore 
Is in You

Lord, I give You my heart 
I give You my song 
I live for you alone
Every breath that I take 
Every moment I'm awake
Lord, have Your ways in me



The personal pronouns are used 15 times; Lord or You 11 times. A difference of four is not that big, but if taken into account, I, me, and my is mentioned 15 times in these two short stanzas, and that that the Lord is mentioned even less the resulting conclusion is disheartening. The use of the personal pronouns is the direct noun (the one doing the action) and the Lord is the indirect noun (the one receiving the action). So who is the subject of this song? One would have to say that the focus is on the one singing, despite the lofty concepts being espoused. To sing to God about what “I” am doing does not seem to be worship of God, rather worship of self doesn’t it? There seems to be too much “I” in today’s christIanity. “I” has been crucified with Christ. If “I” is never crucified, grammar could cost you everything.

                Not been using the personal pronouns, especially when typing and writing (easier to control). Have noticed an increase in the awareness of how many times they are used. Also, have noticed a genuine change of focus towards others. When talking less about self, it makes room to talk to other people about other people. To look in the mirror and see less of me and more of You. You loving people, You helping people, You living out your purpose, and your desire, for Paul said it is You that works in us to will and to act according to your purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment